Mummyfique

If you follow us on Instagram, you would have seen photos of our work for a Mother's Day luncheon event. We had the opportunity to work with Mummyfique when one of their team members contacted us after finding us on Instagram.

We were asked to provide artwork, which would be given as gifts to attendees of the Mother's Day luncheon. We were also given screen-grabs of their desired style, which were taken from Rachel's Instagram account.

example2.PNG

The brief was simple: Blush and Beautiful. The Powerpoint deck came with several mood photos, most of which featured hues of muted / dusty pink, white, and gold. 

We proposed that it would be nice to have place-cards and menus as well, and the Mummyfique team was on board after we gave them some samples.

Since the colour theme was important in this project, we decided to start our design process from there. Rachel decided on a pink colour that would go with the theme and proceeded to mix the paints. We usually mix a larger batch of paint during this phase so that we do not have to re-mix paint during the project — this allows us to maintain a consistent colour for all pieces.

This was the colour palette we used for the project:

With this colour palette, Rachel painted all elements of the artwork individually so that we could see how each element would look like. 

18403255_1860583177541028_620333109426292480_n.jpg

 

Artwork with Quote

Initially, Mummyfique had floated the idea of presenting the quotes in photo frames. After sourcing for frames, we discovered that using the standard photo frame sizes, the piece would either be too large or too small. 

We decided that the piece should be sized at A5 (International Paper) so that all elements would have enough space to "breathe". Although this prevented us from placing the pieces in frames, it gave us an opportunity to try other methods of presentations.

After painting all 45 cards, we then inked quotes related to Mother's Day. 

All pieces were then sealed with a matte-finish varnish to prevent accidental smudging due to moisture.

 
 

 

Menus

The Mummyfique team had requested only the artwork with quotes, but we suggested including handwritten menus. 

The idea was that we would trim the menus to a smaller width and place it on top of the artwork, allowing the floral wreath of the artwork to show up behind the menu, somewhat acting as a border for the menu as well.

Based on the menu items provided by the venue, we trimmed the paper as much as we could, then went to work with the inking process.

Since we wanted to maintain a high level of legibility, we decided not to use a stylized script such as modern. We had decided to use Copperplate for headers, Block letters for each menu item, and Spencerian for description.

We kept the menus as plain as possible, so as to balance out the floral design on the artwork.

FullSizeRender 141.jpg
 
FullSizeRender 139.jpg
 

 

Place-cards and Styling

To finish off the styling for the tabletop stationery set, we included place-cards washed in multiple layers of the same colour palette, layered with increasing saturation to create a gradient. We then brushed on gold pigments to recreate a gold leaf effect. Focusing on legibility and constrained by space, we decided to use a mix of Copperplate / Shaded Spencerian for first names, and Block letters for last names.

Finally, we tied the menus and artwork with a ribbon of the same colour.

 

Event Signage

Although the Mummyfique team had originally considered an aisle runner, we agreed that it would not be relevant to the event as it would be placed outdoors, subject to the elements. There was also no aisle, and simply putting it on the floor would risk it being stepped on by multiple guests.

In the end, we proposed an event signage to be placed on an easel at the entrance.

For this signage, we procured a piece of cold-pressed watercolour paper of a size between A1 and A2. We then trimmed it to A2, and went to work with the painting.

Since dip pens would not be able to create shades wide enough to fill up the paper, we decided to use brushes for the whole piece. 

Rachel sketched out the lettering portion, added some flowers, and completed the piece over two days.

 

18403523_1860583387541007_1134539933092724894_n.jpg
18423944_1860583797540966_652422837177485680_n.jpg
Anonymous Scribbler